Thursday, January 26, 2012

Bitsu-Bitsu Dabao


Bitsu-Bitsu

Oh the good ol' days as a child.. My Lolo Jorge would always take me to the "palengke" on his bicycle every after siesta so he could shop for the night's meal. Without fail, he would always buy me bitsu-bitsu or palitaw as a reward for going with him (as if it was against my will to go, I enjoyed riding on the bike with him.. Hah!). Growing up, less and less people are selling these snacks. Maybe because the prices of the rice shoots so high up they could no longer afford it? Or maybe because the latter generations of kids prefer fast food. Whatever it is, when I came to America I have been craving for my comfort foods like this one and I have never made this in my entire life. So I "googled" it and found a recipe. The next time I googled it, I can no longer find it. What always appeared on my search were other types of snacks that were also named Bitsu-Bitsu. Probably from the other islands or ethnicity like the Tagalogs or Ilocanos. Hence, I made my very own Bitsu-Bitsu Dabao. :) Five simple recipes in 5 easy steps in less than 30 minutes! Happy cooking!



You will need:

1     c glutinous rice flour
1/2  c coconut milk - add more to reach desired consistency
1     c brown sugar
1/2  c water
Oil for frying

Substitution: In case you do not have coconut milk, make use of the regular milk - in my case, I used Prairie Farms Vitamin D Milk. It works just as good.

Instruction:

  1. Mix glutinous rice flour and milk. You may add a little more milk until thick and sticky.
  2. Combine water and brown sugar in a sauce pan and boil until caramelized.
  3. In a frying pan, heat oil and fry the bitsu-bitsu mixture using a spoon or a small ice cream scooper. Fry until golden brown. Then pat dry with a paper towel.
  4. Dump each bitsu-bitsu in the caramel one by one and carefully coat them.
  5. Serve it warm or chill for later snacks.






Enjoy Happy Muffins! ;)

4 comments:

  1. This looks yummy. Gotta try this one and it's perfect since we're going to the Asian store tomorrow. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry I have just gotten back. How did it go? :)

      Delete
  2. mao ni ter? ha ha ha...lutui nya ko ani inig magkita ta pohon..lol..bitaw ay, tinuod jud ka kaayo, nawala na ang tradition na mga snacks nato kaniadto kay totyal naman mga new generation karon..he he he..pero way makalupig jud ani labi na sa ginang-gang nga saging or pinirito o di kaya pinaypay ha haha...piniskot, mamauli na ta ter..pila nalang hinuon kabulan antos nalang usa lol..at least nakabuhat ka ug naka-satisfy your cravings..last two weeks, we went to pinoy store, nakapalit ko pang sapin2x ug kutsinta ready mix..tara luto na ta ter ug ibaligya sa palengke, yawat nalang naa tay ikapalit bugas ani hehehe..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha tama jud ka ter! Tara manglibud na ta aron dakog agi! nyahahaha.. naghuna2 ko ba, unsaon paghimo ug kato ganing scramble sa palingke? lami bya to ay! makapasmo pod hahaha

      Delete